NEW YORK, NY — Earlier this year, I sat down with Tom Michaud, the CEO of Keefe, Bruyette & Woods, a Stifel Company, to get his perspective on the state of banking here in the United States. With some $18 Trillion in assets, this industry is big, broad and incredibly influential. As part of our Looking Ahead series, I asked five questions of Tom; thematically:
- The trends he and his colleagues are most focused on, vis-a-vis the biggest banks in the U.S.;
- His outlook for bank M&A;
- An update on the FinTech community;
- Whether he anticipates an uptick in IPOs in the financial sector — be it from legacy players or FinTech companies; and
- The promise of the soon-to-be chartered banks that are popping up in markets like DC, NY and on the west coast.
Here’s what he had to say: